Monday, June 24, 2013

End of the Spring Vegetable Garden

We are drawing near to the end of the spring veggie season.  Night time temperatures are routinely at or above 75 degrees.  Almost all veggies stop blooming and/or stop setting fruit.  The beans were getting very stringy so I'm cutting them down but leaving their leaves as mulch in the beds.  Beans add nutrition to the soil. Once I cut down and clean out the beds I'm adding a inch or so of compost from our very own compost beds.  I'll let the beds sit for a month so they are ready for fall planting in August.  The tomatoes are going out this week and so are the cucumbers mostly because we are going to be traveling the whole month of July.  I'm leaving the eggplant and peppers.  My experience is that they revive in October once the night time temperatures cool down.  Thank goodness for drip on a timer!

No comments:

Post a Comment