Sunday, January 26, 2014

Coldest January in Years


We are having the coldest January in years.  It seems that every week an Arctic  blast dips low into Texas and gives us freezing temperatures in the low 20s.  We will have to see what survives and comes back in March/April.  It could be an expensive replanting season.  Fortunately my winter vegetables are thriving.  I've been harvesting cauliflower, broccoli, spinach, carrots, beets, chard, and greens.  After I clear out a section of a raised bed, I add compost and a little all around yard fertilize and then seed another section.  I planted sweet peas with edible pods earlier in January.  Since I still have seeds leftover I'm continuing with the beets, greens and carrots.  After the next freeze this week, I planting more kolarobi. The onions are growing nicely and I continue to fertilize about every three weeks.  We have very little rain this month I have had to use drip 2X a week and do supplemental watering of the grass and shrubs.  









No comments:

Post a Comment