Thursday, February 13, 2014

Warming Up


A few bulbs and annuals are blooming.  Soon wave petunias and geraniums will be at their peak.  It's sure different than last year when annuals were in full bloom.  We still had several freezes this week...but for the next 10 days there are warmer temperatures with highs in the upper 70s and no freezes.  That's all it took for me to set out my potted plants.  I fertilized with a water soluble fertilizer and hope to see many more blooms.

Yesterday I cut back my knock out roses by 2/3rds and fertilized.  Today I fertilized bulbs.  I'm optimistic that Spring is arriving here in south Texas.  The only gloom is the lack of rain.  We have not had a significant rainfall since Thanksgiving last year.  It just seems to drizzle and give us .08 rain according to my electronic rain gauge.  I'm glad we had drip in most of the yard.

Rodeo is on......so soon I will be potting up tomatoes.  I need to get at the compost pile and sift out to get the good stuff.  We've been slowly adding top dressing to the grass.  With our small yard, we are using bags purchased from Lowe's.


No comments:

Post a Comment