Saturday, September 7, 2013

Look what a $170 dollar water bill gets you in San Antonio









August was a brutal month for heat with no rain.  We have not had a significant rain now for two months.  In August I did a lot of supplemental watering due to the high heat.  The shrubs were suffering so I did some deep water with a slow drip on the hose.  I know the water bill is way to high, but this is my hobby.  With the shorter days in September and the slightly cooler temperatures, I've reduced the amount of time on the drip system to 45 minutes per section.  I'll use the soaker hose every three days rather than every other day.

The eggplant is loaded with fruit.  Yeah.  Still no green peppers and the plants are now taller than me.  The tomatoes are growing nicely with some blossoms.  They are waiting for night time temperatures to get down closer to 70 degrees.  I'm holding off on any other veggies until we have the first night time temperature below 70!  Before we left for DC on August 26, I spread a granulated veggie fertilizer on the two last raised beds and turned on the drip to these beds so the soil can get re-hydrated.


No comments:

Post a Comment